Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

things just don't make sense.

Take for instance a patient I had who came in via fire rescue because he was eating take out food at home when he bit down on something hard and cut his mouth. It bled, apparently, but when I saw it is just looked like a blister. The doctor also thought the same thing.

But really. Was it necessary to call fire rescue to bring you to the hospital?

I know that may sound harsh or unsympathetic, but the guy was really fine. He was discharged within an hour of his arrival.

When I took the report from the paramedics on the patient, and they told me why he was there, I just looked at them with eyes that said, "Really?" and they just shook their heads. I just do't get people.

One more example- a man brings in his 14 year old son for a headache. Ok, I get it. Your kid is in pain. I've had a really bad headache before where I contemplated a visit to the ER. So as I am asking the patient the usual "When did this start? Any other symptoms-nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light or noise?", he tells me that there are no other symptoms, and that the headache started 10 minutes ago.

(*scratches head)

Really? 10 minutes. Sheesh.

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.