Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Not a fun day. I went in thinking things were going to run smoothly today because we had an extra nurse to float.

Not so.

We were pretty busy but totally manageable. Until the computers went down that is. Not just the ER, not just the whole hospital, but apparently other hospitals that are part of our corporation. Talk about a mess. Three or four hours we went with no computers. And yes, once upon a time we had all paper charting, but at least then, you knew how to chart everything, how to see if there are new orders on your patients, how to get lab results, radiology results, etc. Let's just say every nurse I talked to today was also feeling just as lost as I was. At one point, I was wondering how I was going to make it another 7 hours like that. Then, thankfully, the computers came back up. I'm just glad that I was not the only one lost and frustrated. I hope to never have that situation happen again.

Other than that, my shift was pretty uneventful. I did hold the head of a 1 year old still while she had to get 10 stitches in her forehead. I tried hard not to cry. After the computers being down, and having trouble pulling a med for a patient because of the computer issue, then dealing with my charge nurse who seemed to be in a bad mood and then holding this poor kid who was screaming while her mom was crying too, I was just about to lose it. Too many emotions. But I held it together.

Somehow.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to go climb in my bed and sleep after the longest day ever.

Good night!

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.