Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

I have one of my big tests for the Emergency Nurse Training Program. There are 2, and one is tomorrow. After that, for the next 3 weeks, I will be working on my certifications. I will be working on my PALS certification this week. PALS is Pediatric Advanced Life Support. After that, I will be working on TNCC (Trauma Nurse Core Course), Stroke, CPI (Crisis Prevention Intervention) and possibly ENPC (Emergency Nurse Pediatric Course- which is the pediatric version of TNCC).

Simulation is still going well. We learning tons. I am learning, besides the obvious stuff I should be learning, that I need to trust my gut instinct more, and that just because someone in my group has more healthcare experience than me that they don't always know everything, or they are not always correct. Granted, they probably do know more in some instances or situations. But not always. Example: I thought my simulation patient was in septic shock and my gut instinct was to give him 2000mL of fluids initially. As I started to say that I wanted to give the patient fluids, I was asked how much I wanted to give, and a couple of people on my team started suggesting amounts. I- afraid of being wrong- second guessed my self and I went for a lesser amount.

I need to stick to my gut. I have just as much of a chance of being wrong if I trust it then if I don't. Three more simulations left. I can't wait to learn more from them.

That also means my time until I am let loose on the floors of the ER are fast approaching. December 26th begins my first day as an ER Nurse.

I'm still in my own state of shock. I'm not sure 2000ml of fluids will help me on that though. Well maybe alcoholic fluids. Ok, ok, just kidding, not really that either. I might end up a patient myself with that much alcohol. But really. I'm being let loose soon. Crazy. And exciting.

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.