Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

For the last two days, I've been taking my PALS certification course. PALS is Pediatric Advanced Life Support. Today I took my written test and my skills test and I am officially PALS certified!

Something REALLY cool that I have never learned how to do before, although I am certainly NOT remotely even comfortable doing since I have no practice-

Intraosseous (IO) access. What is that? Its like an IV, but instead of into a vein it is into the bone.

Pretty hardcore.

Not that I'd really want to have to do one, but I think being able to do them, and do them well, would be pretty awesome.

Anyway, tomorrow is a day at the Trauma Hawk. We're going to be taking a tour, getting to see the trauma helicopter, and also be doing some Hazmat stuff. We're doing almost everything we need to be certified in that, too, but since we are not doing one component, we can't get officially certified in it. At any rate, it will be really interesting to learn.

I'm still amazed at all the stuff I've learned so far. Amazed at all the stuff I didn't realize I didn't know. Amazed at how much nursing school DIDN'T teach me.

One of my most favorite things I've learned so far- which is kind of strange because it's one of the most terrible things to happen to someone?

Shock.

It just fascinates me. The whole body- the way it works, they way it compensates when it doesn't work, the way one little thing can throw it all out of whack- it's all just amazing. I wish I could put it into the proper words to really explain it, but I'm not that good at explaining.

Anyway......

I can't wait to get on the floor. I'm excited.

I'm also terrified.

2 1/2 weeks!

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.