Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Tuesday we begin our rotation in the hospital. Here is a bullet list of some things going on and what I will be doing, etc.

  • Our hospital shifts will be about 12 hrs
  • I have 6 hospital days
  • I will be going to the hospital I went to during my first rotation which is good because that means a very short drive
  • I have to do a skills check off on Wednesday on what we call a "Sim Man" which is short for simulation. He breathes, talks, has heart sounds, has a pulse, we can take his BP, etc. I will have to insert a Foley and an NG tube (nasogastric) on Mr. Sim.
  • In the hospital, I will also be inserting Foleys and NG tubes. Fun, huh?
  • I wanted one of two instructors and was blessed to have gotten one of the two. This makes me very happy.
  • My first test is in one week- next Monday. I'm scared, I'm not gonna lie. But then I always freak out in the beginning of a course. That's just how I roll.
  • I won't receive my grade until Tuesday sometime. I don't really like having to wait for my grades, so this will mean more freak out time. I suggest you stay in doors with your windows and doors securely locked. It won't be pretty out here.
  • You should see this report I have to fill out on one of my patients. I kid you not, it is 30 pages long.
  • I have a few assignments to do for this course. Not so bad, though. But man, that 30 page patient profile is just a little killer, don't you think?
  • I am taking an Anthropology course this semester. Some tried to say I was crazy, but I have a really good plan, and a really easy course. I need a writing credit to graduate, and I also need a humanities course, but since I don't like any of the humanities courses that give me a writing credit, I have decided to take this Anthropology course now and sneak a French course in some where along the line later (I took French for 3 years- its bound to come back, right?) Anyway, this class only meets 5 times throughout the entire semester. All I need to do is write 12 papers, 1-2 pgs on anything Anthropology related. I have a 2 week Spring Break coming up and will write them at that time. Not so bad of a plan, eh? (see the French is already coming out)
  • My clinical group consists of 2 girls that have been in my clinical group the last two times, plus a girl I study with. There are only 8 people in my group, and we have our clinical instructor, plus another instructor who is being trained by the other, so we sort of have two instructors. This is good.
  • I think that's it for now. I will write more after Tuesday.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What in the world do you put down in 30 pages!!?? All they have ever asked me is "what seems to be the problem" and "are you allergic to anything"!:)And doctors are usually worse- just smiles and nods -and don't write down ANYTHING! (Ok, except for Dr S-he actually has some stuff in my file-but it's taken years! Seriously, how much paper does it take to write down-"BP is up, weight is up and she has bronchitis"?!~
don't get writer's cramp:)
mom k

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.