Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

*****It was brought to my attention by my husband that my post sounded more harsh than I had intended, so I thought I would clear the air. I was not a racist person, I just had SOME prejudices regarding a specific group of people. I did not hate anyone, I did not ignore people, I was not rude to anyone. I just had some general ideas about who they were. My ideas have since changed.

It has been 12 days since the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that hit and devastated Haiti and the story still rocks me. I still cannot begin to comprehend or even wrap my head around what the situation is there in the country of Haiti, nor what the people there are going through right now. It brings me to tears every time I think about it.

Living in south Florida, we have a very large Haitian population here. I have to admit, in the past, I hadn't been so happy with that fact. I will also admit that I had been very closed-minded and stereotypical towards those from Haiti, but since starting nursing school I have grown more and more empathetic and less judgmental.

One of those contributing factors was talking to a guy I will call E. E was a man of very small and thin stature. He worked full time in addition to attending nursing school. We were talking after our very first exam, of which he had failed, and he was trying to make sense of it. Here he was, studying while working, jeopardizing his job to pass a test, and yet, he did not do so. What was he going to do now? This conversation really opened up my eyes and I felt so much for this man. He was a hard worker and he wanted to make a better life for himself and that dream was being pushed further and further away from reality. I had seen it happen with others, too, who were just as hard of workers missing their dreams. I looked at these people with a different outlook, and for the first time in a long time, I was letting go of my prejudices.

Now, here we are 12 days past this horrific event and I just can't help wanting to help. There are a good deal of Haitian people in my nursing school. Everyone that I have talked to knows someone who is missing or dead and everyone they know does as well. This is something that is effecting so many people and I feel so helpless.

I wish there was something I could. I wish I can go there to help. This is a time when being a nurse already would have been really helpful.

Whenever there was an event where people were needed to help, I have always wanted to, but I've never been qualified to. So I have always sat and watched from the side. As I get closer to becoming a trained professional, I find myself really wishing I was already a nurse so I can jet off to Haiti to help. The question is, if I was a nurse already, would I? If I was single, yes, without a doubt. But I am not. I have a husband and 2 young kids and a wonderful family. Maybe I wouldn't go, because that would not be best for our family. That's obviously a bridge that hasn't been crossed yet and won't be crossed for a while still.

The feeling, however, almost overwhelms me.

This is exactly why I wanted to become a nurse. I want to help others. I want to make a difference.

1 comments:

Nurse Sourcer said...

Glad you are following your dream in that you are pursuing the career of your dreams. Hopefully your vision, believes & personality will continue to strive when you start helping people. Helping is not about color, not about faith or anything but COMPASSION! Wishing you the best of luck! Cheers, Julie

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.