Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Shift 50:
Started out slow, we kept our fast track area closed.  I actually came in at 11am to work for my friend because she needed to come in later (she had something to do in the morning, so she came in for me at 2pm).  Around 3pm, the ICU called and asked if they could send one of us up to their unit to help them.  My charge nurse came and told me that I was to go up and help, that my director wanted me to be the one.  Not exactly sure why, perhaps he thought it was good for me to get the experience and to see how things work in the ICU.  Whatever the reason, I was glad to go.  But I am freaked out by all the machines and meds in the ICU- I won't lie.  I would get used to it if I ever worked there, I'm sure, but from the outside, looking in, its scary.  Anyway, I helped pass meds to a patient, and I checked some blood sugars, I ran a patient's belongings to another floor (the pt was in ICU and got transferred), and I helped answer phones, and I helped with a couple of minor things with the patients.  I was there for about 2 hours and then had to go back to the ER because they had a critical patient and needed me back to help with other patients.  Overall it was a pretty uneventful shift, but it was a little busy for a while.

Shift 51:
When I came in, I took over a 4 room assignment (which is a normal assignment, and this particular assignment has the possibility of having a maximum of 8 patients if you have all the hallway beds filled).  I only had 5 patients maximum at one time, however.  It was a steady busy, a good busy, where it wasn't too crazy that I felt like I was insane at any one time, or too slow where time was going by too slow.  I went on break right before shift change and when I got back, I finished some things up and it was shift change time.  At that point, my charge nurse sent me to triage, which I like to do sometimes at night.  However, it started getting crazy.  Not insane or anything, but there was a couple of hours where I had 4 to 5 patients waiting at all times while I was actively triaging a patient.  I'd get done with 1 and 1 or 2 more would walk in.  Finally, I got caught up and at that point, I only had 1 or 2 more patients come in the rest of my shift.  Also pretty uneventful tonight.  

I have to say, the way I feel about work is somewhat bipolar.  I like the people I work with (well, like 95% of them anyway), I think at times we have a lot of fun.  I have no problems talking to the doctors.  I like helping the patients, but for some reason, I always dislike "going into" work.  Once I'm there, I'm fine, its just the time leading up to it.  I think the most of it is me missing my kids.  Its hard to go back to work after 9 years staying at home. And its hard because the kids have a hard time with my being gone sometimes, too.  But I really do like my job most of the time.  One weird thing I've noticed is that my stomach is usually upset on the days I go to work, so I'm guessing its not a coincidence.  It gets better once I'm at work for a little bit, but its just weird it does this on work days. Hopefully, that will go away.

On another note, I forgot to mention back in shift 47 was something that really made my day and was another reminder why I do what I do.  I had a patient I was taking care of and had to give him a few medicines he had never had before because his heart was in what is called Atrial Fibrillation, where the atria of the heart beat irregularly and rapidly.  Anyway, I always tell my patients what I am giving them and I ask if they know about the medication, and then I explain what it is, what it does, and side effects.  My patient and his wife were so appreciative and grateful that I did that.  They, mostly the wife, kept complimenting me on what a good job I was doing and what a good nurse I was.  Not that I do this for the recognition, but sometimes you don't know that the patients felt like they were taken care of unless they say so.  It really made my day in a time of craziness. They told me they were going to call the comment line that our hospital has and they wanted to make sure I got recognition.  That was sweet.  I don't know if they actually called or not, but I am glad they felt like they were taken care of.  One time while the wife was telling me that I explain things very well, another patient who was in a hallway bed right in front of their room (and was listening to everything) said that she agreed, I explained things well.  This is why I do what I do.  That makes it all worth it.  

Another shift tomorrow, then off for 3 days.  Until then........

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been on the receiving end of the nice,informative nurses as well as the impersonal ones who couldn't spare a minute to give you the time of day-Keep it up-you make a difference! Besides the fact that your treatment and tone can actualy calm the patients which helps lower their blood pressure, stress level (which in my case, can directly relate to raising my blood sugars as well)and overall make them feel better. Good job:)
mom k

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.