Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tomorrow, Monday, begins the first day of OB. I can't tell you how excited I am for this rotation because this has been the area I have felt was of most interest to me. I have envisioned working on the floor for a while, getting my Bachelor's degree and then eventually making my way into a Master's level Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) program with a dual degree as a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner (WHNP). Of course, this was all subject to change, and I could be a trauma nurse in the ER for the rest of my life. But if I had to guess, this is where I would end up. Now, I could love floor nursing and be there forever and never have to go another day of school again after graduation. I could possibly be forced to get my Bachelor's later on because of hospital politics and never see the light of day in a Master's program. Who knows. But tomorrow begins my journey of finding out whether this particular road is one I still want to possibly venture down in the future.

We'll see.

I am scared, nervous, and excited all rolled into one. This semester I will be doing tons of new things. The instructors will expect more of me. I will be starting IVs later this semester. I have to start thinking like a nurse and proving I can do so. This is my second to last semester. The game is officially stepping up.

It's funny. I get all nervous and afraid of clinicals sometimes, until I am actually IN clinical. Then, somehow, I have this barrier that shuts out the nervousness and I just do my thing. Like the time I had to do my first and only foley. I was sooooo scared. I was literally freaking out inside my head. Then it was time and I had to go and I just pretended like I knew what I was doing, (Ok so I knew what I was supposed to do, but actually doing it was a different story) and I just played it cool. Don't know how, but I did. And I hope to continue that throughout the rest of the program.

Anyway, off to finish some reading for tomorrow and get to bed.

Finally the class I have been looking forward to since I decided to start this journey. Can't wait!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it! And I can't wait to hear all the fascinating stories along the way- what a cool place to be in a hospital:)What a blessing to be part of a new life entering the world!
Have fun while you're learning and experiencing everything.
love you,
mom k

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.