Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Here's what's been going on:

  • I had a pharmacology test last night. Didn't do too hot, but none of my friends did either. There was a lot of material to cover for this test and when you're taking 14 credit hours (12 is considered full time student status) and your classes are very rigorous, its really hard. But hey, all excuses aside, some people managed A's and B's. Just not me. And I'm ok with that. C=RN
  • Today was our first day of clinicals, which means we get a math test. (Every class from here on out will have a math test the first day of clinical). I am happy to report I got 100%. Yay.
  • My first nursing lecture exam is next Friday. There has been so much reading for these topics. There's over 650 pages of reading just for exam 1. The topics we are covering are Medications, Wounds, Pain, Blood, Stress and IVs. All very good and interesting topics, just VERY lengthy.
  • Today I learned how to change wound dressings, to wrap 4 different ways with ace-type bandages and to change a dressing for a central line. Tomorrow I will start learning about administering medications, give injections, and hang IV meds. Unfortunately, (or fortunately), we will not be learning how to start IVs until a much later course.
  • I'm really excited because I am going to get to do some "real" stuff, but I'm very scared at the same time. I'm going to give real injections to real people. Its scary. Anyone want to come over and let me practice on them? Kidding. But really, if you want to.... :)
That's all for now. Need to get to bed for another long day in the campus lab.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you practiced on oranges!What are you going to inject into people? More importantly, what are they going to inject into you!:)
love ya!
mom k

Gabbs said...

No no! Let me clarify. I don't want people to think I will practice on people. I will do this in a few weeks in the hospital on real people. Until then, I have to practice on a sponge or some grapefruit/oranges.

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.