Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

Tomorrow is day one in the hospital. However, its going to be more of an orientation and not a real day one. We will be meeting our clinical groups in the cafeteria of our hospitals and then eventually make our way over to our floors for a scavenger hunt of supplies- this is to try to orient us as to where everything is.

Wednesday is going to be the real deal. Two students will be assigned one patient, so we aren't completely on our own- yet. We will have to go in, check vital signs (pulse, respirations, blood pressure, temperature), do an assessment on the patient and give them bath, whether its a full bath (we do everything), a partial bath (they do most of it and we assist where needed), or assist them with getting into the shower and with whatever else they need so they can shower themselves (I pray this is the case with my patients- I am really NOT looking forward to this part). Then, I will probably spend the rest of my day following my nurse around, measuring any liquids that go into my patient (drinks, IV's, etc) and come out of my patient (well.....you get the picture). I will be on a medical floor, and apparently, all of the patients on the floor are automatically hooked up to cardiac monitors whether needed or not, so I have to continuously check the leads throughout the day and make sure they are still on. Then starting next week, I'm on my own with my own patient (I say on my own, as in no other students- there is still a nurse taking care of these patients and my clinical instructor will be around bouncing in between students). I will also at some point in the 4 days I will be in the hospital during this clinical rotation perform an assessment on a patient in FRONT of my clinical instructor. Talk about nerve wracking!

Anyway, I have my second nursing lecture exam this Friday, so look for an update Friday/Saturday. I had my first Pharmacology exam last Monday and I got an 82 (not to shabby since I didn't study that much for it being that I had been so consumed with nursing lecture studying).

In sad news, I am EXTREMELY ashamed to report that I failed a math test (of all the things in the world to fail) and I now have to retake the entire math class, which begins again this Thursday. This is done because the next nursing lecture class begins 10/23 and they get the repeat math class in so that the students can repeat it and pass in time to get into the next nursing lecture class. Honestly, I am very embarrassed by this fact and am having a bit of a hard time dealing with it. There are 10 math problems related to nursing med administration. The math is very simple math, and I know how to do it, but I made two very silly mistakes, and we are only allowed to miss one question. At any rate, I will redo the math and take a new test on 10/15 and hopefully pass and move on. If not, it looks like I will have a long break until Jan, where I will then retake the Math class and then around the beginning of March I will be able to start the second nursing lecture class and clinical rotation- so I would have quite a bit of down time. So I pray, and ask your assistance in this, that this will NOT be the case. How awful to get left behind for 2 math questions.

Well, that's all for now, folks. Look for a hospital update coming soon........

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.