Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Its been a busy two days since my last post, so here's a recap of what's been going on. For my nursing theory class, also referred to as lecture, I have been trying to stay ahead of the reading which is just nearly impossible. For each lecture, I try to make sure I read all the reading assignments for that topic before that class. I have one more theory class before my first exam, so thank goodness after Friday (hopefully) I will be done with my reading for a whole week! However, I have been reading over 50 pages a day to keep myself on this track. I have not completed my reading for today, but if I happen to fall behind, I have tomorrow to help catch myself up (of course, this is in addition to tomorrow's reading as well).

Also, I have been working on answering objectives for each topic. They sell this packet in the bookstore which is called a "Module." The module contains an outline of objectives (what we need to make sure we know) for each topic covered in class. Answering the objectives doesn't necessarily mean they were in question form, but I am basically making an outline with all pertinent information related to the module. Anyway, I am pretty behind in that, so I am trying my hardest to catch up in that area as well since the plan was for me to have from Friday evening until next Thursday night to do nothing but study for my exam. Hopefully, if I can't catch myself up, I won't let it get much past Saturday so I will have a great deal of time to study.

Today was my second real day of clinicals. We actually only have one more learning day in the lab, and then its about 2 days of practice and then 2 days of what's called a "Return Demonstration" where we have to perform all of the skills we;ve learned in class for our instructors and then get signed off on. Then we have 1 more day after that before we actually start in the hospitals, which will end up being the end of September sometime. Yesterday we did vital signs, and today we talked about documentation and we did physical assessments. It seems so overwhleming all the information we have to remember in just a couple of weeks from now for the health assessment, including listening to heart and lung sounds. We have to do everything from memory, which isn't such a big deal really, but we have to be fully competent in doing these 2 weeks from today! Needless to say, it seems like I will be spending some time in the campus lab.

It's really exciting to finally be getting my feet wet, but at the same time its still so overwhelming and scary. Everyone I've spoken to has echoed the same thing, too. There are days when we all feel like we can do this, and there are days where we wonder what we got ourselves into. I guess the good thing is we are all feeling it, so it must be normal, right?

Well that's all the updating I have for now.

Tune in for more soon from your favorite student nurse!

1 comments:

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

You can do it!! One moment at a time.

 
Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.