Monday, August 27, 2012

Its been pretty busy at work lately and I have been having some pretty sick patients, too, lately.  To be honest, I can't even remember everything these last several shifts and I haven't, obviously, been blogging regularly, to keep things fresh in my memory.  But I can say one night during shifts 97, 98, or 99, I literally had one patient dying in one room (he turned out to be a "Do no Resuscitate" patient, more on that in a second) and a patient continuously having seizures in the next room.  Trying to juggle two critical patients at once is no easy feat, let me tell you, especially after needing to go with the patient who was seizing to CT Scan right after you just coded your other patient.

So more about my "Do not resuscitate" patient:  He came in feeling weak, not eating over the past several days, and pain in his right leg.  He had multiple myeloma, a form of cancer, and was in his 80's.  His blood pressure upon arrival in triage was low- 80 something over 60 something.  Textbook normal is 120/80.  He actually came into the ER prior to me coming on shift and when I got there, I took him over as a patient.  His blood pressure at that time was like 113/70 something.  Better.  I kept him on continuous BP monitoring, but he was taken off of it when he went for some tests.  When he got back, fluids were ordered and a blood transfusion were ordered.  I went to get the blood and the fluids, started running the fluids and checked his BP which was now 80 something over 50 something.  Not good, going back down. I opened up the fluids to run as fast as they could and put the bed in a position called Trendelenburg, which is where we raise the bed up and then lower the head of the bed.  This ensures that while the BP is low, the brain will still get the blood flow it needs.  I checked the BP again, still not improving.  I waited a couple more minutes, checked again- now 64/46.  I went to get the ER doctor and told her his BP is still going down after fluids and Trendelenburg.  She went into the room and the patient was increasingly less responsive.  She decided to call a code so that we could intubate the patient as his oxygen saturation was tanking too.  He had a pulse but was essentially not responding to us.  The family was there and before the doctor intubated, she talked with the family, who then advised that they would not like to have the patient intubated and their wishes of no CPR were also expressed.  So basically that all meant that we would wait for him to die on his own without intervening. The patient received 2 units of blood and 1 liter of fluids and his BP was still not improving much.  He was admitted to the medical floor and I called the nurse up there to give report, but after I gave report, the patient became more unstable and my charge nurse said he would probably die on the way up, so we should just let him stay in the ER.  Sure enough, his heart rate started to slow, went down into the 40's.  Patient still had a faint pulse.  Then the patient's heart rate went to 0, and his pulse was slightly there, my charge nurse told the family they should say their goodbyes and they did.  That, for me, was the hardest part.....hearing the granddaughter say, "Goodbye, Grandpa, I love you," was all I could do from bursting out into tears.  I just held the hand of the wife until it was her turn to say goodbye.  So strange how you can be home not feeling well, decide to go to the ER, walk in, and then die later that night.  You just never know.

I've had severe cellulitus (infection) of the leg, acute respiratory failure, abdominal pain, ear infections, sore throats, broken ribs, broken knee sustained from a car name it, I've probably had it.  I like my job, I love learning.  I've been giving some medications lately that I've never given, so thats been pretty neat.  The only thing I can say I don't like is that we have a lack of tech help at work.  I wish that could change because it would certainly make my job easier and help me take better care of my patients.

I'm back at it again tomorrow.  I work Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday this work week.  Until then...


Anonymous said...

Howdy! I could have sworn I've visited this web site before but after going through many of the articles I realized it's
new to me. Anyhow, I'm definitely delighted I stumbled upon it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back often!

My website flying airplane games

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp consolidate credit card debt
credit card companies

Copyright (c) 2010 The (mis)Adventures of an ER Nurse. Design by WPThemes Expert

Themes By Buy My Themes and Direct Line Insurance.